Sunday 17 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey: Day #1 - In the Beginning

Summer Learning Journey - Week #1 Day #1 😀😀

Hi bloggers, this holidays I'll be doing the Summer Learning Journey some of you may have heard about it. The Summer Learning Journey is a Blogging Program, Where every kid in New Zealand can registrar to join. Rachel Williams deiced to make it a FUN! blogging program because she thinks even though it's the holidays, she thinks that kids should still do some school work even though it's the holidays and I know what your thinking "Wait, more school work, its the holiday's man!". But this is not like any other boring blogging, this is a FUN one. Where there be activity set up for you and guess what... It even comes with prizes, yep you heard me. Prize for the people who come 1st, 2nd and 3rd. So if you want to join go click this link. Here some of my activity that I've done


Activity #1

*Arriving in New Zealand
For the first activity, we had to read a story about a famous man named Maui, some of you may have heard about him. The story we were had to read was Maui and the Giant fish. Once we had finished reading the story we had to write 3 facts that we learned from the story here they are:

3 interesting facts I learned from Maui story:

Image result for First people on nz
  • Maui ancestor names are Murirangawhenua.
  • He had gotten a jawbone from his ancestor Murirangawhenua that he used as a hook for the fish line.
  • Maui and his brothers lived on an Island named Hawaik


Activity #2

*Setting Sail
The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a 'waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Wow that must have been amazing, whoever that person was they must have been so brave that they were scared of nothing, nothing, So let's imagine that I'm on broad right now on the waka with some other, finally, we came upon New Zealand. Our voyage to New Zealand was amazing and I can't wait 2 tell my friends how it was so I'll just write a letter to them, telling them how it was

Here is my letter:


The End

Activity #3 - Bones Actvity
* Waka Ama

To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.
waka-ama-40461.jpg

I wonder what it would be like if I was on one of those teams should I join or not, I was asked to watch a video that related to the "Waka Ama" what had to do with it. We either had to chooses if we wanted to join Waka Ama or not and why?

I chose no because all that rowing would be so tiring that you might faint and wow 500m now that a long way and I'm kind of scared like what if you fell out of the waka every time you pedal that would be quite scary I say myself.

Thank You! 😀😀😀😀😀
Leilani - Romano







4 comments:

  1. Hey there Leilani, thank you for completing the first activity so quickly. You have included three very interesting facts, well done! What did you think of Maui's brothers? Do you think they were very nice to him? They remind me of my older brother in some ways. What do you think they thought of Maui after he managed to pull up and catch the entire North Island?

    Have you ever been fishing? Have you ever caught any fish as big as the North Island?

    Thanks, look forward to hearing from you and seeing your other posts.

    Billy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Leilani, it's Billy from the Summer Learning Journey programme. I am glad to see you have completed two more activities. Nice job and keep up the fantastic work.

    I like how you have been very honest with your opinion about the Waka Ama. I don't think I would like to join the Waka Ama either because it looks very tiring and a bit boring.

    You are right! 500 metres! That's so far! No thank you.

    Keep up the great blogging!

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talofa Billy, Thank you for your lovely and encouraging comment, really appreciate it, No I haven't gone fishing and Maui's brothers kind of remind's me of my brothers to.

      Hope 2 see you next on my next post.
      Sincerely Leilani

      Delete
  3. Hi Leilani,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team!

    What a great letter! I like how you've talked about how weird it is being in a new country. It would have been a weird thing to move to a brand new country. What sorts of things do you think they would have seen once they landed in New Zealand that they might have wanted to tell their friends about?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over the summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete