Wednesday 27 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey: Day #4 - Hitting the high note

Kia Ora everyone and blogger out there, Wow! is it already Day #4 or am I just dreaming, well jolly gosh it is Day #4. Had a fantastic start the morning already for more blogging. Here my Activity I've finished...

Activity #1
*The Waiata- A song in your Heart

In the past, Māori would often use song as a way of sharing information or communicating emotions.  A waiata is the name given to a traditional Māori song. One of my all-time favourite waiata is Kia Paimarie.

Waiata are more used theses days now, for greeting or for thanks you's even haka's.
So I did some research of finding some waiata's. Here is a Waiata I found that I really like and enjoyed listening to. 
Picture from the Video of the Waiata


Here it is, is it called: Whakataka Te Hau. The link is there if you want to watch it or listen to it.

I love this Waiata, because it makes me feel clam, it also makes me forget about all the worries and be happy or I prefer to say makes me feel relaxed. I know the title means something beautiful. We usually sing this Waiata at school in the morning, or for Te Ao Māori

Thank you

Activity #2
*Playing games

Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before? Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations?

Wow!, I sure do love games, but I never come across Māori game's, So I did some looking up, prefer to say research of some Māori game's and used the links that are also up right now in the first paragraphs of Activity #2.

I found a Traditional Māori game named : Manu Tī - Taonga Tākaro (Traditional Māori Game)


Manu ti game photoThe goal of this game is that, opponents tries to snatch Raukura (feathers) out of each others hair (top knots) or from the Tipare (headband). Who ever get the feather first wins!

Two rules: Only 2 people minimum, Small area to play in, indoor is fine

If you want to know more about this game, or want to learn some other games with your friends, Just click those links colored Blue and Purple. Thank you!!

Bones Activity #3
*Musical Festival - Matatini

In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini. This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are judged and the best teams win prizes.

The gold medal winning team from this year (2017) was Te Kapa Haka o Whāngārā Mai Tawhiti.


For this activity, I was asked to watch some video and rate them from my No.1 favourite to #3 my least favourite haka.


Here are the video, I will be rating


Te Iti Kahurangi

Here are the one I like from best to least best!:
#3--Te Iti Kahurangi

#1 Te Puku O Te Ika - I think that Te Puku O Te Ika was the best one because of their voice's it was singing but I felt like when I watched it, it was a message that things can't stay or be forever, there harmony was beautiful I would have to say and in prefect tune to! and their dedication to their leader was absolutely beautiful, they were all in their right possession moving or standing by the way which was good.

#2 Tamatea Arikinu - Was awesome, their one was so cool with the pois swing all around, The sway was very good with their flaked shirt's. Changing possession must been hard for them going on the knees and getting back up, but they did a fantastic Job. There possession was on POINT!

Least favorite #3 - Te Iti Kahurangi - For this one, I'll give my low lights and my highlights. So my low lights is there could have been some swaying in this one, I think and my highlight is that I love how the lady come's front and center and starts her beautiful singing with the man playing the flute.

So that's my rating. AND my last ACTIVITY for Day #4

Thanks for checking out my blog today.
More coming tomorrow!!
Leilani-Romano 

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Leilani, thanks for completing three more activities! Great job you are working so hard these summer holidays.

    I've really enjoyed reading your review of the three performances. I like how you've judged them on different things such as their voices, the harmony, the tune, the way they move and dance on stage, etc. It's great that you recognise that there are many different aspects to a great performance.

    Have you ever been involved with a performance of some kind?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Billy, Yep, I have been involved in a Performance before. Our church was doing a Samoan dance.

    Thank for the lovely and encouraging comment Billy, really appreciate it very much!!.

    Do you love to dance or seeing them, have you ever been in a dance performance too? or whats you favorite dance move?. My one is the whip nae, nae hahahah.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete