Friday 22 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey: Day #2 - It's All In A Days Work!

Hi guys, Day #2 Summer Learning Journey. Here's my activity I've done....

Activity 1#
* A House or A Home😏😏
In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. So they lived very differently from us, now these days.

What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?
Image result for Auckland houses









Two similarities about My House (in Samoa) and the Wharepuni House ( Maori sleeping house:
1# Roof - My house: Thatched Roof
Roof- Wharepuni: Thatched Roof
2# Floor - My house: Earth Floor
Floor - Wharepuni: Earth Floor
Two differences about My House and the Wharepuni House:
1# Walls - My house: Wood and brick

Walls - Wharepuni: Timber and Tree Fern
2# Window - My house: Glass and metal
Window - Wharepuni: No window's
There are my differences and my similarities between My house and a Wharepuni. Thank you!

Activity #2
*The Rules of EngagementπŸ€”πŸ€”
During the early years in New Zealand, men and women would often marry at a young age. Women were expected to have babies and remain in the home caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work outside of the home.

These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path in life. In fact, Rachel.Williams was lucky enough to go to university and to follow my dream of becoming a teacher!

Have you ever thought about your dream Job when you grow up? A report, a artist, an actors or even somebody who could traveler the world discovering new things.

Well, I have. What I want to be for my dream job, is a Doctor and I was asked to draw a picture of me doing my dream job for this activity. Here it is...

This is me as a Doctor, Inside Auckland Hospital. I wanted to be a Doctor, because I love to think of other people before myself.

I want to save people lives, thousands of them. I want to make sure, that every little kiwi and old kiwi in this world has a healthy heart and is healthy.

That's why I want to become a doctor!

Activity #3
*Special Meals
Back in the 1800s, most Māori ate a simple diet. They ate foods that they could catch in the water (eg. fish) or grow on the land (eg. kumara). They did not have access to a supermarket to buy food for their meals! Speaking of meals, what is your favourite meal? Rachel's is wood-fired pizza. Yum! πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

Image result for corn beef and spaghettiHmmmm, Whats my favourite meal???. OH!, I know its Corn Beef and Spaghetti that's my favourite meal in whole entire world. My mum mostly made it for me (her cooking is very, very good btw!)

I love this meal so much, because the taste of it is so juicy and taste. Its what my granddad use to make for me and my family back in Samoa, he had taught it to my mum. So it's like a family meal.DeliciousπŸ˜‹!!

Here is the recipe for it: Corn Beef and SpaghettiπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

That's all for 2day, but there be more tommrow!!
Byeeee. Thank You!
Leilani - Romano 😁😁😁😁😁

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Leilani, thank you for working so hard on your blog these holidays. I always enjoy checking out your posts.

    This corn beef and spaghetti dish looks delicious! I also like how you've given reasons for it's selection - it's juicy and tasty!

    It sounds as though your granddad was really kind for making this meal for you back in Samoa. It's always nice having a special family meal. Thanks also for sharing the recipe, maybe I can make it for myself one day.

    Do you have any favourite sweet foods?

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malo lelei Leilani,
    My name is poitirere and I am a year five student from St Pius. I have been looking at your amazing work. If you want to look at my learning my blog post site is http://spxpoitireret.blogspot.co.nz/2017/12/summer-learning-journey.html?showComment=1513823600707#c7002820510580642765

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leilani,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team!

    Great work with these activities! Well done.
    How cool that your house back in Samoa was so similar to the wharepuni! Can you tell me some more about your house in Samoa?
    One of the differences I had too was the way that a wharepuni does't have any glass in their windows. Great minds think a like! :)

    Being a doctor would be very cool! You would need to know a lot of different things about all sorts of illnesses though. How do you think you can prepare for being a doctor one day?

    That's awesome that corned beef with spaghetti is your family meal. I have never eaten something like that before! Maybe I will have to try it one day.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete