Saturday 30 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey: Day #5 - The Dawn Of A New Era...

Hi, there blogger. made it to DAY #5, wow I can't believe I made it to the last Activity of Week 1, hahaha, Well let's see what Activity I finishing for Week #1 .....

Activity #1
*Translating Phrases 

From the 1840s onwards, many European settlers came to live in New Zealand. It was a difficult period in New Zealand’s history. As the settlers began to outnumber the Māori, a great war erupted between the two groups as they fought for access to land to build homes and establish communities. More like fighting over who gets New Zealand or something like that.

Unlike the Māori, many of the European settlers didn’t speak Te Reo Māori ( they didn't speak Māori language ). Instead, they spoke English. As you can imagine, it was very difficult for the two groups to communicate because they did not have a dictionary or a translator.

These days we are able to use the Internet to translate words and phrases from one language to another. Which we very lucky to have, Were even lucky to have a translator on Google Translate.

For this activity, I'll be using Google Translate. To translate these Five Phrases at the bottom from English to Te Reo Māori ( Māori Language ) or from Te Reo Māori to English.

Here are the 5 phrases I will be translating from English to Māori, or Māori to English:


  1. Nau Mai ki Aotearoa.
  2. Image result for Maori + english picturesTranslate - English: Welcome to New Zealand

  1. Leilani is my name.
  2. Translate - Māori: Ko Leilani Toku ingoa

  1. What is your name?
  2. Translate - Māori: He aha to ingoa?

  1. He pai taku ki te takaro i te whutupaoro.
  2. Translate - English: I like to play Rugby

  1. Where do you come from?
  2. Translate - Māori: No hea Koe?

Thank you!

Activity #2
*The Treaty of Waitangi 

On 6 February 1840, a very special document was signed by the Māori chiefs and the British settlers in New Zealand. It was called the Treaty of Waitangi (Te Tiriti o Waitangi) and it outlined how the two groups would live together and work together in New Zealand. It was the first document of its kind to be signed in the entire world. The Treaty was signed in a place called Waitangi in northern New Zealand.
Image result for treaty of waitangi
If you want to check out Waitangi and see what happens there follow this Waitangi village link to read about the village of Waitangi.

Image result for treaty of waitangi
So, I was asked to think about what 3 fun activities I would do down at Waitangi. Here they are:

Activity 1# - Skydiving - Air Activites
Activity 2# - Toa - Māori Arts - Māori Culture Activites
Activity 3# - Diving - Water Activites
Image result for treaty of waitangi

One of the activities that I would really want to do down at Waitangi is Activity 3# - Diving - Water Activites.

I've always wanted to go underwater, I haven't gone to the beach in a long time since I was about 8, and I love seeing animal maybe even shark, this girl named Madison Stewert who swims with the greats dangerous shark ever the great white shark the most dangerous shark in the world, she inspired me to go in the water. My favorite animal I really want to see is a Seahorse they look so cute!

Bonus Activity #3
* #EarnTheFern


After the Treaty of Waitangi was signed, New Zealand became a British colony. Many other countries in the world are also British colonies including Canada, South Africa, Australia, India, and Malaysia. As a group they were, and still are, called the ‘Commonwealth’ countries. Years ago, a man named Melville Marks Robinson was asked to organize a sporting competition for people living in the Commonwealth countries. It is called the Commonwealth Games. The first ever event took place in Hamilton, Canada in 1930.

Athletes from New Zealand have competed in the Commonwealth Games for years. In the most recent Commonwealth Games event in Glasgow, Scotland New Zealand athletes won a total of 45 medals. The next Commonwealth Games will be held in 2018 on the Gold Coast, Australia. Hundreds of athletes are competing for the chance to represent NZ at the games (to 'Earn the Fern').


One of New Zealand’s gold-medal-winning Commonwealth athletes was a man named Bill Kini. Bill won a gold medal at the 1966 Commonwealth Games for being the best heavyweight boxer. He was a man of many talents! He played rugby in Ōtāhuhu in the 1960s and later moved to Whangarei. He sure was popular back in the days and New Zealand sure is lucky to have a guy like him, who won GOLD for us!

Imagine that I'mm all the way back in 1966, the time Bill Kini was at the Commonwealth game and won the gold medal. As I was a 23-year-old reporter just doing her duty. I was the first reporter to interview Bill Kini.

Here are 4 question I'll be asking Bill Kini When interviewed:

Hi, Mr. Bill Kini there ( Laugh) so I hear you just won the gold medal for the heavyweight boxer at the Commonwealth Games, a huge congratulation Bill you've done so well, that I bet the whole entire of New Zealand is yelling out your NAME!!

So I have a few simple question you know the Average, could you take a moment to answer them please, (Answer with a Yes)

1# How does it feel to be winning the gold medal?
2# Are you proud of every effort you put into this?
3# How did you have time to train for two sports at once?
4#What is a little message or a quote you would say to all your fans watching right now or out there?

Well, Billy answered the question and may I say wow! you go. This has been Leilani reporting to you on 1 News, thank you!

Well, that'ss it for today, Week #1 done and dusted OKAY!
But there will be more coming soon!
Check out more of my blog post and Leave a comment!!!
Thanks also to Bill Kini for the interview. BIG FAN BILLLL!!
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄
Leilani-Romano
Thank You!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Leilani, it's Billy here from the Summer Learning Journey. I used to be known as Bill back when I was boxing and playing rugby. Now that I am retired I am working for Rachel at the Summer Learning Journey programme. Thanks for interviewing me about my past sporting accomplishments.

    1. It felt amazing to win that gold medal. What an experience to represent your country and just knowing that everyone back home was really proud of me!

    2. I have no regrets. I am so very proud of myself for all the effort I've put in to competing in two sports at top level. My body has a few regrets though - it's pretty sore nowadays, but totally worth it!

    3. In short, I didn't! I would go from rugby training to boxing and back. It was crazy challenging. I owe a lot to my family for supporting me. Sometimes I'd forget what I was training for and I'd start boxing rugby players or tackling boxers! Those were strange times.

    4. Hmmm...a little message or quote...that would have to be "One step at a time, one punch at a time, one round at a time."
    It's about taking everything little by little. Short term goals and all that.

    Now I have a question for you, how did you become a reporter Leilani of 1News?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey again Leilani, it's awesome to read that you were able to translate the phrases from English to Te Reo and also Te Re to English using the Google Translate tool. Have you ever used Google Translate before?

    I've also really enjoyed reading your plans during a trip to Waitangi. Have you ever been before? It's great to see that you are planning on doing some cultural activities and water and air too. What a terrific balance.

    Keep up the great blogging,
    Billy

    ReplyDelete