Tuesday 11 July 2017

Day #3: Wild Eyes

For Day #3 I  am going to be meeting some native animals and guess what I'm going to adopt one of them! So I have meet some native animals at the Otorohanga Kiwi house and Native Bird Park. So I decide to help them out by adopting a native animal here's the link if you want to adopt a pet : Adopt a Critter page’

Image result for tuataraSo a native animal that I picked to adopt is a
Tuatara

What is a Tuatara, Well the Tuatara Lain Name is Sphenodon punctatus But its Maori name is Tuatara means (Peck on the Back). 

The Tuatara is one of the most unique animals in the world.Though it looks like a lizard but they are both quite very different. They are only found in New Zealand only. The Tuatara is the only surviving member of the reptile family named Sphendon meaning wedge tooth that became extinct 60 million years ago. Tuatara may live up to 100 years. The Tuatara is also a close relative to snakes and lizard. The Tuatara is a carnivorous animal meaning it only eats other animal in so it can survive, it also preys on insects, beetles, spiders, birds eggs, frogs and small reptiles and mammals. They are predator free now on other islands away from like dog and cats and ferrets those kind of animals are its Predator.

I love my Tuatara pet I can't wait to play with him Yayyy!!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Leilani,

    I love that you have adopted a tuatara! One of my friends at university (Gareth) actually bought a lizard and kept it as a pet for three of our four years at uni and he loved it. He used to take it out for walks and feed it a special mix of insects and grubs. Yummm?!

    If you were able to adopt a real tuatara as a pet what would you name it? Tom? Izzie? I'd love to know!

    Bye for now,

    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete